How can you recycle used hearing aids? Whether they belonged to a passed relative or you chose to upgrade your hearing aids to something fancier such as a cochlear implant, the solution is the same: donate your pre-owned hearing aids rather than throwing them away.
There are plenty of people suffering from loss of hearing who could use a donated hearing aid, and a number of organizations out there that acquire and distribute those hearing aids to the individuals in need. Keep reading to find out how and why to donate pre-owned hearing aids.
Why It’s Worthwhile to Donate a Pre-owned Hearing Aid
- Of the overall populace, about 14% have some kind of hearing loss
- Of all of the adults suffering from hearing loss 91% percent are over the age of 50
- There is evidence of hearing loss in 15% of school aged children
- Approximately 29 million adults with hearing loss can benefit from hearing aids, but…
- …only 16% (4.6 million) of them actually use hearing aids
- First time hearing aid users have an average age of 70, but again…
- Fewer than 30% of those over 70 who require hearing aids have ever used them
This is really troubling. Because health issues like mental decline, increased risk of falling, and depression have been linked to untreated hearing loss. The importance of your hearing to your general health is backed up by new research coming out all of the time. These health problems can be eliminated and in some instances reversed by hearing aids.
And loss of hearing will cost the typical family up to $12,000 each year which should be a very compelling fact. But that expense can actually be reduced by as much as 50% by using hearing aids.
It may not be feasible for families who lose $12,000 a year to afford hearing aids.
Your old hearing aid can have a huge effect, in the health, quality of life and financial stability, for a person in need who could not otherwise afford a hearing aid. It may also help a child in school who has difficulty hearing, which could affect their ability to enter into college and make a livable wage when they get older.
Donating Your Used Hearing Aids
There are numerous volunteer groups and makers who help recycle old hearing aids. Come and see us so we can advise you on the correct recycling choice for you. Or give us a call.